Before you embark on your mountaineering journey you have to make sure that you have all the proper equipment. This will make sure you stay safe and comfortable during your journey and that things run smoothly as you climb. Here is a list of the top seven essentials you will be needing on your expedition into the great out doors.
The Seven Essentials
- Navigation equipment such as maps of the area are a must. You have to mark your route thoroughly to ensure that you don’t get lost along the way. Additionally, make sure you have a compass with you to help your navigation as a way to stay on course.
- Backpacks are another essential item and choosing the right one for the type of journey you are taking is important. For shorter day trips smaller more compact backpacks are okay as long as they fit all your required essentials. However, if you plan on taking longer multi-day trips then its best to go for a heavier duty option.
- You never know what the great outdoors has in store for you, so it is always best to have a first aid kit with you. This will make sure you are well prepared for any injuries that could happen along the way.
- When mountaineering you will have to keep your strength up and ensure you are getting enough calories and water to stay at peak performance level. Always make sure that you have enough food and water to last you the whole trip.
- In order to be able to cook the food you have brought along, make sure you have matches and lighters to help you start a fire. Fire starter kits are a good thing to have for both single and multi day trips.
- Considering the unpredictability of the weather, it is also best to have with you emergency shelter equipment such as tents, tarps and reflective blankets. This will keep you safe in the event of unpredicted changes in the climbing conditions, especially on multi-day trips.
- The last but not the least is sun protection and proper insulation. You have to make sure you are properly dresses for your journey, especially in colder climates. Your apparel should be warm enough to keep you comfortable from the cold and ready for any unforeseen changes in the weather. Additionally, sun protection items such as sunscreen, lip balms and sunglasses/goggles are also important to make sure you remain comfortable.
Complete Your List
Once you have all these items checked off on your list, you are good to go. Remember, you will be carrying all these essentials with you the whole time so it is best to make sure you are only bring what is absolutely necessary for the type of trip you are taking, whether it be single day or multi-day journeys. Consult with an experienced instructor and for beginners and fist timers make sure to have a certified guide with you on your journey to help you manage the trip as smoothly as possible. In short, some of the items you will be needing include:
- First aid kit
- Enough food and water
- Emergency shelters
- Proper appreal