Ice climbing is an adventurous activity. It takes the climbers through risky paths. In these risky paths, their life remains at stake. They need to be fully equipped before starting their journey. One of such essential equipment is an ice crampon. An ice crampon is a pointed device, which is attached to the footwear. Ice climbers especially use these footwear. An ice crampon increases mobility on ice and snow. When a climber climbs an ice mountain or crosses a glacier or a snowfield he wears them especially so that he doesn’t slip on ice. The crampons give him grip to walk comfortably on ice.
Characteristics Of Ice Crampons
- Material- crampons should be firm and light so that it becomes easy for climbers to climb or walk on ice. Crampons are made of steel alloy or lightweight aluminum. Climbers demand lightweight aluminum crampon for alpine ski touring.
- Points- points refer to the spikes in the crampons. Earlier crampons had only ten spikes. Therefore the climbers faced difficulties while ice climbing. But later on, 14-spike crampon arrived in the market. This crampon gives better grip and climbing experience. The company added two points in the front of the crampon for those climbers who climbed mountains.
- Attachment- a binding system helps to attach the crampon to the footwear. The attachment system has evolved. There is a two-strap system in a crampon which is also known as the hybrid trap system. Where one strap binds at the toe area, and the other is the heel lever, which is at the back.
Some Other Characteristics Of Ice Crampons
- Anti bailing- bailing means build-up of snow under crampons. Plastic or rubber anti-balling system reduces the snow build-up. Snow builds-up especially in freezing temperatures.
- Grades- there is a grading system for choosing the correct crampon for the exact mission. People grade them on the basis of flexibility and compatibility. One can check compatibility with different styles of footwear. C1 grade crampons are very flexible. C2 grade is versatile crampon for walking and suitable for mountaineering. C3 grade crampons are specially for technical mountaineering. It gives the mountaineers proper grip.
- Boots- like there is a grade for crampons, the boots are also available in four types. B0 boots are the flexible boot, and no grade of crampon is suitable for it. B1 boots are semi-stiff and only grade. C1 crampon is ideal for it. B2 boots are fully stiff, and grade C1 and C2 are suitable for it. B3 boots are technical climbing boots, and all the grades of crampon are ideal for it.
These crampons are specially for mountaineers who climb on hard snow. They are always in high demand in the United States mountains of Alps.
For all the climbing enthusiasts crampons is a must. No height is reachable without the help of a crampon. They are the best friends of the climbers because they take them through the narrow and risky paths. It is an essential element of climbing and has a longer life.